Thursday, September 30, 2010

Is your life safe?

Terrifying

Safety on the internet is HUGE. I live in the age of data information. You can pay for almost everything online now. I have accounts with hundreds of websites. I blog and post information about myself every week online for everyone to look at.

Everyone needs to be careful that they are using good passwords (do you use the same password for ALL of your accounts? from your email to your facebook to your paypal account to your bank account to your good reads?) Only post information on the internet that you would tell a stranger. -No addresses or information that can pinpoint back to you. Everyone's heard the horror stories about even mentioning a school + child's name that can be allow a stranger to pick up someone else's child.

With all of the information online about you: could someone put the pieces together and crack your life?

Issue for everyone. Teach your children. Teach your parents. As a teacher you are responsible for even more children's safety. Be SAFE.

My goals: go back through my accounts/passwords. Several have the same password they've had for my internet "lifetime" as were. (You know since I was like 8. It's time for some maturing.)

The other part of this assignment (besides learning how to be safe on the internet) was to teach someone a bit about internet safety. My younger brother just started a blog as he left for college. He's pretty internet savvy. In fact- he is smarter and knows more about technology than I ever have known. I also shared what I learned with a friend. He is also very careful on the internet. I impressed the importance on not revealing personal information as well as being smart about passwords. They are actually going to help me generate some better passwords for some of my accounts. : )

1 comment:

  1. Wow! your blog is beautiful! Maybe I should work a little more on mine, lol!

    ReplyDelete